As a last minute speaker we were very happy to welcome Sharlane Anderson from Headspace to the group this month.
Headspace is a non for profit organisation that offer a range of services to assist young people aged 12-25 who are going through a tough time. At headspace Capalaba you can get help if you;
- Feel stressed out, worried or can’t calm down,
- Can’t focus and have thoughts or feelings you don’t like or that worry you,
- Are having problems at work or school,
- Haven’t been feeling like yourself,
- Want to talk about gender or sexuality,
- Want to talk about contraception or sexual health issues,
- Would like to cut down or stop drinking or drug use,
- Are being bullied at school or work.
The headspace Capalaba staff and Consortium partners work together to make sure young people have access to a wide range of different services from psychologists to youth workers to housing support.
Shalane offered 7 tips to help with our own headspace:
- Be prepared – to keep stress levels down in an emergency situation, Shalane suggested that we find out where out closest doctor, hospital, vet and other such services are so that we don’t make rash decisions under pressure.
- Get the recommended 8 hours sleep a night.
- Keep fit – incorporate healthy fitness routines in our daily activities
- Look after our body – eat well “we are what we eat”
- Be socially active and be connected to our community – we all got a gold star for this as just being at our monthly meeting met this tip.
- RELAX – a break is as good as a holiday, find an activity that you enjoy
- Be kind or helpful to someone else
Please remember that if you or anyone you know might need assistance please call Headspace on 1300851274 or visit them at 29 Moreton Road, Capalaba.